marty_6__Utterback_I
The first article by Cayley was difficult for me to understand; I found the writing style difficult for my brain to download. The latter two primary articles by Utterback and Seaman I found much easier to comprehend. I think the general concept of text as more than just a placeholder referring to something abstract is much more obvious in fine art. These articles reminded me of taking Typology class; it's a class just dedicated to studying the how to make letters.
A lot of the book focuses on narrative versus game, which seems to be quite a battle ground. I think that theory of visual aesthetics about games should be borrowing more from fine art, yet it doesn't seem to be represented much in this book and in my opinion is only hinted on in this chapter after lots hoop jumping.


2 Comments:
I wonder what's more important, sounding important and academic or actually making sense.
I think that digital text narrative will never be able to compete with digital games because experiencing something with audio and visual is much more intuitive and immediate. That said, I would be interested if an underground art community started experimenting with making interactive text more fun and intuitive. It could happen.
Post a Comment
<< Home