Simon_Unit6_Utterback_Q
I've been reading a whole lot of these installations since last fall semester. It is way too flattering to call them "the new genre of interactive physical interfaces (See Matt Gorbet's response)". However, I do agree to Gorbet's concern about "simplicity of interaction and brevity of content". These installations, as well as those in New Media Reader, are trying to maintain the user's sense of control by using a simple, familiar physical interaction. On one hand, this body-centric interaction reinforces the sense of control; On the other hand, it becomes a constraint of the content and context. Following Gorbet's question of "how far can the complexity of the content be pushed", my question is: What is the most practical use of these installations in spite of its constraint?


1 Comments:
When reading the introduction of the installations, I was quite amzased by the technology. On the other hand, I kept thinking what these installationis can do to the users. The text rains seems a good way to learn letter for kids. The stream of conscience can be a new alternative viewpoint of appreciating poetry. I think the process of meaning making from the users is very significant, which might not be the same as the initial idea of the artist or poetie.
Post a Comment
<< Home