Sunday, February 20, 2005

michelle-VI_Seaman

Seaman says (p. 227) that "the continuum that bridges distributed bodies with the recombinant communicative and associative functionality of technology is charged with the potential of extending humankind's ability to experience, generate, operate on, store, edit, and disseminate meaningful patterns of experience." Later, he says "extended computational environment enable us to augment the body...enlarging our capacity to produce and experience patterns over time-to come to know" (p. 230). Seaman talks a lot about context and its importance, and the ability of virtual environments to create new contexts. I'm okay with that; what I'm struggling with is how experience generated in technology really constitutes experience. We were talking about VR surgical training in 602 last week, and while it can be good practice to train virtually, it wont guarantee things will go smoothly on a real person. I would prefer to have someone who has operated on real people versus one who had only virtual experience. While I see how technology will clearly become an intergral part of ourselves, I do not know if we are yet comfortable enough to say that true meaning can come from a digital realm.

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Gum said...

I don't think virtual experiences should ever be real, if it were technologically possible to actually make them exactly the same as reality. As Audrey-Anne pointed out, technology is a part of our lives but not a part of ourselves.

If a novice started using VR, it is with the intention of training him/her for the real thing, not to scare the living daylights out of him/her even before getting out in the field. I will never be in favor of technology being exactly like reality, maybe in part because I am a control freak when it comes to such things, but also in part because of our previous arguments about losing the imagination that can be gained from reading a book.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Loyal V said...

I think that a virtual experience is somewhere between reading and physically doing. When I build a Lego model, I read the directions and place the pieces as I go. An intermediate step between these would be to see the directions in VR, see the piece move to the correct place on the model in progress, and then physically apply the piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home