Snoop_Unit8_Walker_Q
With the current “reality show” popularity, I can see where quite a few people would find enjoyment from website narrative as suggested in the article. I think the biggest trick would be to find sponsors for the site and create a good marketing plan, but that is beside the point. On page 304, Walker says that she has seen personalization in commercial databases, but never seen such levels of personalization in narrative and gaming. I seem to think that the technology and programming is not to the point where total personalization is achievable as of yet, but we will be there one day and I’m sure the gaming industry will be quick to adopt the technology. One could argue that games such as Everquest and The Sims are highly personalizable, but I don’t think it is to the point that Walker is speaking to.
I also find it interesting that both Jack and Jill have a very similar experience with the site even thought they take different paths and have entered totally different information into the database. I can see where the average person would feel that the experience is very personal and find the interaction to be quite pleasing. I’m sure designers could create a site very similar, but program in a ton of more options and routes a user could take and I’m sure this still to come. I think the trick will be to incorporate some kind of sponsors or advertises to create some capital for the development.


3 Comments:
Current technology has not come to the stage of total personalization. In the future I believe that technology will bring more alternatives in no matter game or reading aspects. Just recall different theories about interaction in the class. There are so many approaches for interactive participation. In the meanwhile, some concerns, such as privacy vs. data mining, should be considered as well.
This is kind of like the advertising in Minority Report that targets people by name. What major retailer wouldn't pay a fortune for a "personal shopper" AI similar to Caroline that could tailor itself to the user's tastes. Amazon.com is already doing something similar to this, where it remembers everything I look at and purchase so that it can show me related items.
Something like this would involve writers with experience writing for soaps I guess, not to mention new writing talent all the time. A finite number of writers can only come up with so many ideas over time.
A compelling scenario though.
Post a Comment
<< Home