Sunday, March 13, 2005

Audrey-Anne_Unit8_Walker

The concept of a 24 part online drama seems interesting but I have a hard time understanding how engaged Jill Walter is in it after having discovered all the obvious limitations of the program. She talks about personalized e-mails even though she is aware of their repetitive pattern and of the fact that her interaction will not change the denouement of the story. When she says that her reading the story makes the story progress, I don't really see the difference with a book: there is no story unless you read it. I believe the media itself might be what makes the story interesting for Walker because it requires a physical participation (go to the computer, open e-mails, go to the site) instead of just having to turn pages. However, I would like to see this type of story developed so that the reader has more than a "reader" role and has more influence on the story. A story in which having different characters interacting differently would actually lead to different situations.

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Gum said...

I kinda agree with Michelle. Reading this piece reminded of psychics and every song that was ever written about heartbreak. Both these have the amazing capability of sounding like they are catered specifically to you, even though 99/100 times, it is all generic speak.

You hear and pick out what you want to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home