Monday, March 14, 2005

Marty_8__Walker_I

The concept of Online Caroline sounded rather depressing to me when it ends as an accomplice to murder. I generally don't like databases keeping track of my information and attempting to send me "personalized" emails. I think I'm more than a few questions and clicks. It seems to me that databases are not really able to capture the bulk of a personality.

I think the aspect that is telling about a databas's inablility to capture a personality is the tincture of time. I buy one bicycling book from Amazon, and I'm forever hearing about other bicycling books a year later. I think that Online Caroline would annoy me.

In my opinion, simply because computers can process, does not mean that computers can think. There is a certain level of awareness that computers have not reached, and I am not entirely convinced that they can reach the level of a human. Regardless of whether computers can become humans, I think we need to move beyond a straight forward database to make believable "personalized" emails. There needs to be some improvement for me to buy into Online Caroline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home