Nitin_unit5_Doug&Harg_Q
The authors talk about pleasure while immersing yourself in a paperback. I believe/agree that the immersion comes from the linearity of the paperback. But is it possible to ever get that same effect in hypertext, especially considering that so many of us even struggle to read a five page paper on the screen?


2 Comments:
For the generation born in the time of books and pringint stuff, it will be hard for them to read on screens. But look at the young generations born in the digital age. Just observe how much time they spend in front of computers, and how relevent computers and internet-based media means to their lives. I believe their media literacy is different than ours. For them, reading something on the screens might be so nature.
I agree. The great thing about the book is that you get lost in it. The author tells the story and you follow along- the pace is a compromise between the author and the reader's comprehension speed. I can blaze through something simple, or I can spend long periods of time re-reading the same paragraph to get the full effect (this is the reason I never got very far in The Grapes of Wrath, by the way- the prose is so good).
But let's not put form over function. The hypertext model is getting an awful lot of attention, but are there any stories that are more compelling when told in this style as opposed to traditional prose? The point of telling a story is to tell the story so that the recipient understands as much as the author wants to divulge. If the form that the story does anything but facilitate this, then it is not effective.
Post a Comment
<< Home