Loyal_1_Murray
When I read Hamlet on the Holodeck, I interpreted "agency" as Murray describes it here; as "dramatic agency" where dramatic effect can be added to enhance the input-based actions of a video game. "If changing what a character is wearing make for a change in mood within the scene, if navigating to a different point of view reveals a startling change in physical or emotional perspective, then we experience dramatic agency."(p.10, paragraph 2)
A good example of this is the game Metal Gear Solid 3. In order to progress through the game, it is necessary to change the character's camouflage clothing to blend with different locations and land features (tall grass, trees, swamp, etc.). This is a fairly simple variable, but it gives an immense perceived advantage to the player.
Also, navigating between different points of view in the game is important in order to find enemy locations and clues about the game's story. The result is the feeling that "I am responsible for my own safety here, I am outnumbered, but I am smart and careful enough that I can make it past these enemies." These dramatic effects are powerful because they are created in the player's mind.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home