Audrey-Anne_Unit2_Eskelin_I
I agree with Eskelin's distinction between game and narrative, but rather than making of them two completely different things I would consider them as two complementary notions. Games that are driven by a good story are more immersive and present narrative sequences. Indeed, most story-driven games contain animated sequences that tell a story or make the story progress. It is the case in Silent Hill for instance....and even in Tekken (you are told the characters' stories when you win the tournaments). Most of the time, your progression in the game leads you to these elements of story. In this sense, the narrative is being complemented by the game (there is a great motivation and desire to know the rest of the story ) the same way the game is complemented by the narrative. I'm not comparing this kind of narration to literature (you'll never get the same thing you get from a book in a game...no way) but it seems too radical to alienatate one form from the other.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home