Sunday, January 16, 2005

Ben - Chapter 1 - Murray

I love Janet Murray, particularly her emphasis on what does any of this tell us about our lives, and thanks to her I believe I may eventually succeed in pointing the Hockney data on the history of painting in the same direction she keeps insisting is the only relevant concern with respect to cyberdrama, enhanced practice.

What we call something is useful for discussion and reference, but it should not be the overriding aesthetic concern. Jody Foster told the sheriff's deputy back in 1991 when asked if Hannibal Lector was a vampire, that "I really don't think we have a name for what he is."

That's why we love him. And that's why I'll be first in line to pick up the interactive version of Sarah Cooper's Reliving Last Night of the Living Dead, as soon as it comes out on DVD.

Many young art students suffer from creative vapor lock because they want to ally themselves with the next big thing, and not wanting to waste effort in what might be perceived by (largely imaginary) others to be the wrong direction, don't produce anything at all.

Snoop says, "when the pimp's in the crip mon." and so on, gesturing in ways I can scarcely begin to comprehend, raking in huge sums of cold hard cash, and inspiring youth everywhere to abandon reason and smoke no less than two ounces of weed per day. give or take. Does the Oxford College of English take notice, or are the M.L.A. standards affected? Would I like to have his personification on my answering machine, just to confuse solicitous callers?

This is why I will probably always be pigeon holed as an artist, carve it on my tombstone. Of course I would prefer my remains be shot directly into the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home