Sunday, January 16, 2005

Simon_Unit1_Perlin_I

Perlin’s dialectic of “linear narrative” and “interactive game” illustrates the question of “agency” between a game and a story. In technical point of view, it is remarkably important for dramatic game design. But her contention that people’s efforts on interactive narratives cannot move forward to merge film and games does not make much sense to me. As a matter of fact, the text-based early game genres such as MUDs and Moos were successful in creating a form in which the wall between “my agency” and “the agency of an entity that seems psychologically present and real to me” were blurred.

2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Chia-Kun said...

I agree with Simon's view point. Nowadays lots of games are designed based on films. For example, the Shark tales and the spiderman are the examples. Withe advance of audio-vidual communication technology, people can eventually can work on interactive narratives based on the virtual reality. In fact, combining films and games together seems to be a good promotion.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Gum said...

Ma, Wei's point is well noted. I understand the immersion part in a game. As a matter of fact, after playing the Star Wars game "Knights of the Old Republic", I started weighing all my decisions as oriented towards the Light Side and Dark Side (a scary scenario indeed). But, Alora Khan, the character I control in that game, also seemed like some part of my conscience. Is the ground under me disappearing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home