Chi-Hsun_Unit2_Aarseth_I
I found some interesting perspectives from Aarseth’s points. He claims that games needs narratives to become better products. Indeed, at present, games include various elements such as spectacular scenes, elaborated graphics, attractive sounds and vivid characters. Therefore, these elements compose a popular game. I am just wondering if eliminate these elements, is the game still popular to players? Can we innovate a game without complicated scenario or spectacular scene such as “The Tetris”?


3 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I will agree with Nick. Games, unlike the traditional media, have the unique attributes. When playing games, narratives are not the only factor which make games as the better products. Interactive design and different control formats are very important too.
I've been thinking about this question for the better part of the day and I was not entirely satisfied with my original response so I am entering a new one.
The beauty of Tetris is that it is essentially a different game each time you play it, because the same type of pieces do not fall each time. Playing cards in reality or VR is the same thing, it's a different game each time. But the success of these games lie in their simplicity and limited structure and rules and the ability to overcome non-complicated obstacles.
Games with narratives (often) provide more difficult and enjoyable challenges because the rules may not be consistent, the tasks are of varying difficulty and the guideline of a narrative makes for a more tangible goal than just stacking up blocks.
Also, it comes down to the type of player. You have the more serious players like Nick, Loyal and myself or you have the office worker trying to take time off from a hard day with a quickie of Tetris.
Post a Comment
<< Home